Three years ago today my Grandpa Maupin passed away. I was with him, his wife and his children.I had just returned home from spending a year in Vietnam and I'm so thankful I got to see him one more time, got to tell him I loved him, got to be there with my Dad through that heartbreaking experience... To me it was awful to watch him take his last breath in that hospital room, but all in all he peacefully passed from earth to eternity. I had never seen someone die before, every time he took a deep breath I was terrified it'd be his last, and then he'd keep on breathing for a couple more hours, until one moment he really did take his last breath, it was almost a relief, but I was left with an emptiness, a finality. His life on earth was finished. My Grandma was a widow, my Dad and his brother and sisters would have to live the rest of their lives without their Dad. No more Father's days or birthdays, phone calls or hugs.. Only memories to live with. I have such beautiful memories of visiting Grandpa and his farm, playing in the hay and the creek, petting the goats, listening to stories of when my Dad was little etc. I miss all that. I miss my Grandpa. And I miss what could have been, I wanted him to be around for my future.. I'm so grateful for the 87 years he had though, for the people he influenced, for the legacy he left. I'm thankful for the 20 years I had to know him. He left behind his beautiful wife Ellen whom I love so much, he has 2 sons and 2 daughters, and many grandchildren and great grandchildren. I hope we're making him proud, I hope we carry on his name in an honoring way. My one regret is that I wish I had known him better, I wish I knew his favorite color, his greatest childhood memory, what it was like growing up in the 1920's and 30's, how many places did he visit etc. He was a private man, but if I could do it over I'd ask lots more questions, to have seen 87 years on this earth, he must have had lots of stories, memories, good times and bad... So if you still have your Grandpa and can go spend time with him, I'd encourage you to do that, sit at his feet and ask him about his life, let him know you're interested in the wisdom he has to share and the lessons he's learned along the way. I took my Grandparents for granted a lot, growing up I just thought they'd always be here. I praise the Lord that they were always there when I was a kid, that I didn't have to say goodbye until I was an adult and that I carry around those memories with me. And hopefully I still have more time with my other Grandparents and I pray I'll make the most of it. Death is a hard thing, but it teaches us to cherish the moments, because we never know how many we have left with the people we love. And too, it makes me think - what will I leave behind? if I die tomorrow, or 80 years from now... We all have choices to make, and my choices won't only affect me, they'll affect people around me, and the generation behind me etc. Your life can either hurt or help, you can live to bring glory to God or to yourself, what is it you want people to remember about your life when it's over? I love you and miss you Grandpa. Dad-I'm praying for you, and I love you.
*James Elsworth Maupin August 15th 1921 - July 3rd 2009
*With all my heart* ~Rissa

Thank you for remembering! To have you by my side through his passing, it meant the world to me! I Love You Too!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure he's proud of all of you. I love the picture of the whole family, it reminds me of when we were all at Amazing Grace.
ReplyDeleteExcellent post. Thanks for sharing this. It was very special having you with us at this time. Watching him die in peace was so precious. Psalm 116:15: Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.
ReplyDelete