Wow where to begin?? I'm in France!!! Only by God's grace and provision and His choosing to move mountains - He's just good like that! There's no doubt in my mind that He wants me here right now. I told everyone I met that I was planning to leave December 28th but that the only way it could work is for God to work a miracle because practically speaking I shouldn't have gotten my visa so quickly. I was hoping I would get my visa before Christmas so that I'd be packed and relaxed knowing what day I was leaving... But the days came and went with nothing in the mail for me. Christmas was a nice time with family, and church family. I continued saying goodbyes and on Tuesday (27th) I finished putting everything back in my suitcases still not knowing for sure if I'd leave the next day... This was the last day I'd be able to receive my visa in the mail and still be able to fly out with the Cole family. That morning I went to Nashville to spend time with my sisters and when we got back I checked the mail, holding my breath!... But the box was empty.... I thought well maybe it just hasn't come yet today... So I went to the house and waited... it was probably 3 in the afternoon and I was making a phone call upstairs when the mail lady drove up to the house. When I got off the phone, before I walked downstairs I prayed God give me the strength to handle the news, whether my visa came or didn't come. I ran down and my sister handed me the envelope and I started jumping around the house laughing, practically crying while singing - "i'm going to France, i'm going to France, thank you Lord, oh my goodness!" :) I called my Dad to tell him then I called the Cole's; and the craziness continued! It was a long night of putting the last minute touches on everything, trying to make sure I was ready to be gone for a year. Wednesday morning my Mom and sisters - Meridith & Rachel and I got in the car to drive to Atlanta Georgia where I would meet up with the Cole's. I had a big suitcase, a small suitcase, and my guitar & backpack! It was a fun road trip spent singing in the car and having quality time together. Saying goodbye at the airport is never fun... it's just kind of heartbreaking. Our flight was supposed to leave at 830pm but we probably didn't fly out 'til 930. We flew to Heathrow airport in London than had to get all our bags and take a bus to Gatwick airport in London to catch our flight to Bordeaux France. It was a grand adventure, but very tiring! I was so thankful the whole trip though that I was with Michael & Liz and not having to do it all alone; and glad that I could be of some help with the kids - they did great! We arrived at our final destination Thursday evening. (we're 7 hours ahead of the time in Nashville). Mr. & Mrs. Robert Bixby, and Mr. & Mrs. Tim Bixby welcomed us into their homes with open arms, during dinner I could hardly keep my eyes open and was very thankful when I finally crawled into bed! Friday & Saturday I was able to rest and relax. Saturday evening we brought in the new year by eating, playing a game, and then counting our blessings from 2011! This was a great reminder of all God does to take care of me. Sunday I was warmly welcomed into the Church. The Service is entirely in French so I need to start learning rather quickly :) It looks like I will have the opportunity to take night classes a couple times a week at the university to begin studying the language! Monday I got to see the French "wal-mart" so to speak. Then we went to police station to see what paperwork still needed to be turned in to receive our resident card which allows us to stay in France. Tuesday we went to the bank and I was able to have an account set up for my year here. Tuesday evening is the time the church meets for their mid-week service, I gave a short testimony on how I came to know the Lord and how thankful I am to be in France. Wednesday was spent shopping with the Cole's and spending time with Tim & Ruth and their children before they left for Paris. Thursday I had my first driving in Europe experience! It went well, I prayed the whole time! It's not terribly different than driving in Nashville, thankfully they still drive on the right side of the road and the steering wheel is right where I'm used to it being :) As of today (Friday) I haven't seen much outside the neighborhood of Pessac where we live, but this evening we're planning to go downtown Bordeaux so I can see more than just the airport! Everything has gone so well so far. As for the questions I said I'd answer 1.What am I enjoying? I'm enjoying the adventure of starting over somewhere new, I'm enjoying meeting new people that don't share my language but share my faith; spending time with Michael & Liz, being inspired by their courage, patience, and trust in God; Helping care for Viviane, Adeline, & Mathieu; the technology that allows me to still communicate with the ones I love back home; Time to read & spend with the Lord. 2.What am I missing? I'm missing my family & friends; the comfort of being able to go out and do what I need to do in English; my dog Carly :) 3.How are things different? When you meet someone whether it's for the 1st time or the 100th you don't shake their hand or give them a hug -they give a cheek to cheek "kiss" on both sides - takes a little getting used to.... They use Euros here instead of dollars, that will also take some getting used to; Everything seems smaller; some bathrooms are different, they'll have a bathroom with the sink and shower, and then a separate bathroom with the toilet - and there's usually a button or something to push to flush the toilet instead of a handle. I'm sure there are many many more things that are different, as time goes on I will see much more of the French culture! I will keep this blog updated often for those of you who would like to hear about the adventuress things God is doing! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you the happiest of New Years - 2012!! I encourage you to spend time daily with the Lord and in His word this year - so much truth to learn & cherish. Also if you're looking for a good book to read I recommend "Kisses from Katie" I'm not done yet but so far it's a wonderful true story and very inspirational! Thank you for your prayers!! Love to all <3
In His Hands,
Carissa
Loved your entry! So excited that you are taking French classes. I think that is great! Hoping you are able to make the most of your town and are able to have an impact on the church and not just those precious dumplin's you're nanny-ing! :)
ReplyDeleteLOL, I was just looking for a new book to read-now I have an idea at least! Glad to have heard from you a couple times already. :) Keep us updated.
ReplyDelete